A palm harvester is a tool used for the harvesting of palm fruits or the palm fruit bunches. Palm harvesters can also be used to harvest coconuts from coconut trees.
A palm harvester is not only used for the harvesting of palm fruits and coconuts, it can also be used for the pruning of the leaves and branches of palm tress and coconut trees.
The following are the steps to take to use a motorised palm harvester:
- Assemble the parts of the palm harvester. The palm harvesting machine is usually sold in bits. You need to couple all the parts together for you to use it.
- Pour petrol and engine oil into the fuel compartment of the palm harvester.
- Pull the starter rope of the palm harvester to ignite the engine.
- Hold the palm harvester tightly and point the blade towards the palm fruits you want to harvest.
- Due care and skills should be exercised when using the palm harvester blades to cut down the palm fruits.
- Clean the palm harvesting equipment after use and store in a cool dry place.
- All the components of the palm harvester should be tightly screwed or fitted together as the removal of any part can cause serious injury and even death.
- Safety gears should be worn when using the palm harvester.
- Fuel should not be poured into the palm harvester when the engine is running.
- Always be cautious of falling fruit and debris, especially when working on tall palm trees. Wear a hard hat if necessary.
- Do not overreach or overextend while using the harvester. It's essential to maintain your balance and stability.
- If you're not experienced with palm harvesting, consider seeking guidance from experienced individuals or professionals to ensure safety and efficiency.
- Some palm species may require slightly different techniques or tools, so it's a good idea to familiarize yourself with the specific palm you are harvesting.
You can buy a palm harvester here.
Read our latest article on the types of palm harvester in Nigeria here.