Plastic mulching in vegetables enable vegetable farmers to better manage weeds control. The use of plastic mulch benefits the growing of vegetables as weeds can be effectively managed and control.
Plastic mulching improves the yield of vegetables by reducing competition caused by weeds and other unwanted plants.
How to use plastic mulching for vegetables
To use plastic mulching films in vegetables, the following steps have to be taken:
- The farmland should be ploughed, harrowed and ridges. The ridges should be done in form of beds so that the plastic mulching films can fit well.
- Install your drip irrigation system before you lay the plastic mulch.
- The plastic mulch should be laid on the beds. For large farms, tractors fitted with mulch layers should be used to lay the plastic mulch.
- Pegs or hold down stakes should be used to tightly affix the plastic mulching film to the soil.
- Holes should be created on the plastic mulch. The holes will serve as the panting points for seeds and seedlings.
- The plastic mulch should be removed at the end of the season or when it has reached its end of life.
Advantages of plastic mulching in vegetables
The following are the advantages if plastic mulching in vegetables;
Plastic mulching films serve as an effective and efficient weed control mechanism. With the use of plastic mulches in vegetables, weeds can be controlled.
The use of plastic mulching can improve water retention in soil. With better water retention in soil, irrigation cycles will be reduced and plants can have better access to water. This can improve yield.
The use of plastic mulching in vegetables can assure the availability of nutrients in the soil by preventing nutrients’ leaching and erosion.
The use of plastic mulching can extend the growing season for vegetable crops.
Plastic mulching can also be used to increase the temperature in the soil. This can have negative effects on harmful soil borne pests and microbes.
Types of plastic mulching films that can be used for vegetables
The following are the types of plastic mulching films that can be used for vegetables:
Black Plastic Mulch
The black plastic mulch is the commonest type of plastic mulching film used for vegetables. This type of mulch prevents the growth of weeds, retains water in the soil and warms up the soil.
Silver on Black Plastic Mulch
The silver on black plastic mulch can also be used for vegetables. The reflection of the silver colour optimizes the process of photosynthesis; this can improve the yield of vegetables. The silver colour also repels aphids and some types of insects.
Transparent Plastic Mulch
The transparent plastic mulch is used for increasing the temperature of the soil. It can be used for in vegetable farming for early planting and late planting.
Red Plastic Mulch
The red plastic mulch is used for vegetables like pepper and tomato. It has been proven that red plastic mulch can improve yields in tomato and pepper plants.
Green Plastic Mulch
The green plastic mulch is usually used for weeds control in vegetable crops like watermelon and cucumber.
Vegetable crops plastic mulching can be used for
The following are some of the vegetables plastic mulching can be used for:
- Baby Corn etc.
Do you need plastic mulch for vegetables? If yes, you can order your plastic mulch by calling us on 08025141924.